Saturday 24 March 2007

mo'hair

Slept in till nine, finished breakfast by 8.30. Got to love the end of daylight savings.

So, another week is over, a new one just begun. Seeing as I haven't written in here for a goodly many weeks (slacker), I guess I'll just review that one just finished. Should make for copious, if not fascinating, blogging. (As if 'fascinating' was a prereq of bloggage.)

Last Sunday! My headshaving party! Despite me organising it, I had a lot of fun. As the afternoon progressed my hair went from mostly fine to mullet to mohawk, thanks to the handiwork of some very patient friends and a girly razorblade.
"You only get two blades? How do you shave with these things?"
"Yeah. Discrimination against women. We have to shave twice as hard to get half the result."

I promised Minh pictures. So, okay.
From hair...



...to mohair... (one word: irascible)










...to no hair. Not many folks have seen this-- I wear a hat nowadays.










Big Love to everyone who came along, massacred my hair, provided me with muchas moral support, and sponsored me. You people are awesome.

The rest of my week was fairly tame in comparison. A none-too-strenuous nine hours at uni, which I am loving madly. Who knew Aboriginal languages could be so much fun? Even my psych. unit about vision is interesting-- we're doing a real proper experiment to find something out, something to which we don't know the answer. I can't stress the coolness of that point enough. First and second year psychology is tedium ad nauseum, but this semester we will add to the field of knowledge. Enthused! In a nutshell we hope to determine if there is one neural mechanism to detect and recognise all shapes, or an invidual detector for each shape.

So, for the first time ever, I am enjoying all (okay, both) my units. I can't stop smiling.

Worked Friday and Saturday, so I am in a fair way to getting rich. Bah. You know what irks me? Superannuation funds. I dunno, I kinda have a problem with the government taking my money and giving it back to me when I retire. I'll retire when I'm dead. In the meantime I could be doing something with that ~9%, something worthwhile. Superannuation doesn't sit too well with my faith, I guess. I want to trust God that I won't end up homeless under a bridge, I don't want to be forced to make provisions for myself in the abstract future when for Christ's sake I mean there are kids who don't have a future for tomorrow.

No doubt I'll be glad to have that money some fifty years hence.
"Prosperity knits a man to the World. He feels that he is 'finding his place in it', while really it is finding its place in him. His increasing reputation, his widening cirlce of acquaintances, his sense of importance, the growing pressure of absorbing and agreeable work, build up in him a sense of being really at home in earth... [the young] will not apply themselves steadily to worldly advancement, prudent connections, and the policy of safety first... You will notice that the young are generally less unwilling to die than the middle-aged and the old."

-The Screwtape Letters,
C.S. Lewis.

Well, I think I've blagged enough for now

No comments: